Date: Thursday 25th March, 2010
Venue: Royal Society of Victoria
9 Victoria Street Corner of Victoria St. and Exhibition St. Melbourne 3000
Monash University Faculty of Arts and School of Geography and Environmental Science invite you to public lectures by two leading scholars of Africa’s social and environmental history
Professor Edwin Wilmsen Centre for African Studies University of Edinburgh
- Globalization before the globe was known: Asian-African interactions in the 1st century CE
- Professor Wilmsen will discuss the extension of biological and cultural exchanges between south-central Africa and the Indian Ocean region from ca. BCE 100 – CE 1000.
Professor Judith Carney Department of Geography University of California, Los Angeles
- Seeds of Memory: Africa’s Botanical Legacy in the Atlantic World
- Professor Carney will examine the inter-continental plant exchanges that took place as a consequence of the transatlantic slave trade and the presence of enslaved Africans in the Americas
RSVP is required by Monday 21st March at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or Sharon Harvey on (03) 9902 0398
Information about papers for the upcoming VI Southern Connection Congress have been released. The conference will be held in Bariloche, Argentina form 15-19 February 2010. Confirmed speakers include:
- William Bond, University of Cape Town, South Africa
“Reinterpreting plant traits and the geography of vegetation with fire”
- Richard Hobbs, School of Environmental Science, Murdoch University, Australia “Invasive species and global change: novel ecosystems and their implications for conservation and restoration”
- Peter Lockhart, Allan Wilson Center for Molecular Ecology and Evolution,
Massey University, New Zealand
"Using new sequencing technologies to investigate species radiations in the New Zealand alpine flora"
- Jérôme Munzinger, Laboratoire de Botanique et d’Ecologie Appliquées, Herbarium Nou, New Caledonia
- “New Caledonia flora, and talk about questions about the gondwanian origin”
- Imanuel Noy-Meir, Hebrew University, Jerusalem
"Southern semi-arid lands: management and conservation"
- Victor Ramos, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
"Late Cenozoic uplift of the Patagonian Andes and the beginning of the glaciation"
- Ricardo Villalba, IANIGLA-CONICET, Argentina
“The Antarctic Oscillation: A common forcing of climate variations in temperate regions of the Southern Hemisphere”
- Rory Wilson, Swansea University, Wales UK
“Surfing southern ocean currents; a perspective on seabird tracks through 3-d space”